Whether individually or corporately, we must take a stand on our knees and offer up the incoming year to our Heavenly Father in thanksgiving for bringing us through the outgoing year, and ask for protection, safety, and guidance as the New Year comes in.
When going through some of our church’s archives, I came across a small paragraph handwritten on “November 27, 1944. It was voted on by the board as a recommendation to the church to have a Watch Night Service at the church on December 31, 1944.” In 1944, our church, as well as the rest of the country, had WWII on everybody's mind, in their hearts, and in their daily lives. The Mica mines in this area were vital in communications for the war effort. Our members were faced with rationing of goods and fuel. Some of our church members lost loved ones in battle and were working through grief. Are we that different now? How many times in Scripture were God’s people warned about not returning to God for their every need? See Joel 2:13; Zechariah 1:3; Isaiah 55:7; 2 Chronicles 7:14; Hosea 14:1
So let’s do it. May New Year’s Eve be a Night Watch as it approaches in prayer with supplication and not just a party.
As we approach another year, we can look into the mirror of truth & honesty & ask The LORD, "Where do we go from here?" We can begin with getting back to God, not only is a nation, but as individuals. "God, where do I begin?"
Looking back to times of war & history, we realize it is time to learn from conflicts. I do not want to repeat the same mistakes. I do not want to stay in the cycle of chaos & complaining, bitterness & fighting. It is time for an awakening!
To begin, we need to tear down strongholds. We also need to learn and have a teachable spirit, & then overcome.
In this series, we will look at 2 Chronicles 7:14, which says, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
For September, we will look at humility. I'm going to ask myself some questions, & I hope that you will do the same. Am I defensive? Do I have pride in any area of my life? Do I seek wisdom from God & His Word? The Bible tells us in James 4: 10 and in 1 Petr 5:6 to "Humble yourselves".
Here's our challenge: everyday in September, let's pray about humility...in our homes, in our churches...and in our hearts as individuals. And continue through December 31, as we look toward making every day to count for The LORD.
Let's begin today. Luke 10:27

No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are monitored by church staff before allowing to publish.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.